Note that each servers rules are slightly different to each other so please use /rules when you join!
Keeping the Server Safe
We want SootMC to be the safest place possible for our players, so in order to do that we adopt some common sense rules.
- We do not allow harassment. Please do not bully or put down people as this is not how we should be treating others. This includes racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism etc.
- We do not allow drama in chat – this should be kept private or preferably not occur at all.
- Any use of slurs will not be tolerated and shall result in a PERMANENT ban from the server as these are personal attacks. This includes use of the r slur. If you’re not sure what a slur is or whether a specific word counts as a slur, please contact a staff member. Swearing is allowed but please don’t swear in excess.
- Respect other’s builds! You may take resources from unclaimed builds, claim them as your own, or even completely remove them – but please avoid making things unnecessarily ugly. Please do not “grief” (damage with intent to harm) as you gain nothing from this.
We want to keep this server as fair as possible for all players. Cheating to win removes the fun out of the game as it removes the challenge in it. We ask that you please don’t ruin the game for everyone else!
- SootMC is a “PvP free” server by default. However, we do allow you to toggle PvP on and off. By enabling PvP you are acknowledging and accepting the risk of being killed and losing your items.
- Alt accounts are allowed on this server as long as you have not been banned. If you have been banned we ask you not to join the server on an alt account as you risk being permanently banned for ban evasion. We ask if you have other people in your household playing on the server to notify staff to avoid future complications.
- Any hack or mod that gives a player an unfair advantage is not allowed. We do allow most exploits except for duping, using a composter and piston to mine, clay/gravel patch mining or exploiting our plugins. If you are unsure about a specific exploit please contact staff.
We allow modifications in the following categories:
- Mods that improve client performance (Optifine)
- Minimaps, as long as it doesn’t show anything you can’t normally see (caves, dungeon locations, etc.)
- Aesthetic modifications that do not give you an unfair advantage or change gameplay (Shaders)
- Inventory management systems, such as automatic organization
- Mods for recording gameplay (ReplayMod)
- The Schematica mod (auto-build and easy place features are prohibited)
- Armor and status HUDs (as long as info shown is accessible in vanilla)
- Macros (setting certain actions to specific buttons)
- Hotbar Items that have been brought in on the plots server must follow the guides linked in this document:
- AFK Grinding is allowed as long as it is not during peak times when the server is full. If you are caught doing this you will be kicked and banned if it is a repeated occurrence.
- Please refrain from speaking any language except English, as doing so prevents us from effectively moderating chat.
- Self Promotion is not allowed. You can share things you have created as long as you don’t share it with the intention of promoting it. Please ask us before promoting to avoid punishment.
- Spamming through chat, private messages and commands is not allowed.
- Abuse of permissions bought on store.sootmc.com may result in the removal of them.
- If a moderator feels it is appropriate, they may enforce stricter rules in order to control a situation that is occurring. However if you believe any abuse of power has happened, you can open a modmail in the discord and report this.
In order to reduce lag we use a plugin called Lagassist, which will despawn certain mobs and turn of some block physics such as water flow when the server is lagging. Our development team is constantly working hard to improve server performance.
Rules we employ for you to help us reduce lag include:
- Put switches to turn your automatic farms on and off. Don’t make these farms too large and keep farms off during peak times.
- Seperate your afk farms out so they aren’t all loaded at once.
- Reduce the amount of animals/mobs around your bases.
Anything causing too much lag will simply be removed from the server
Please use /report in game if you see any players abusing a rule mentioned above!
If would like to appeal your ban than you can do so here
Server Specific Rules
Some servers have more rules to cover specific gameplay features that the server has, the network wide rules however still apply to these servers!
- Do not use alts to access mines you have already passed
- Camping PVP areas is allowed but do not target players
Commands You Need To Know
- /rules- Brings up a list of the server rules.
- /spawn- Teleports you to the server spawn point.
- /tpa <username>- Sends a teleport request to player.
- /tpahere <username>- Sends a request to player to teleport to you.
- /tpacancel- Cancels your outgoing teleport request.
- /tpdeny- Denies a teleport request sent to you.
- /msg <username> <message>- Sends a private message to player (only works when player is online).
- /r <message>- Replies to the last player you sent a message to.
- /ignore <username>- Removes all messages sent by the player in your chat.
- /ignorelist- Shows a list of all current ignored players.
- /mail send <username> <message>- Sends a private message to player (works while player is offline).
- /mail clear- Clears your inbox of any recieved mail.
- /report player <username> <reason>- Reports a player to the moderation team.
- /report bug <reason>- Reports a bug in the game to the moderation team.
- /suggest <reason>
- /realname <nickname>- Shows a user’s IGN (in-game name).
Claiming- For more info on how to claim land click here
- /claim- Claims an 11×11 square around the block you are standing on.
- /claimslist <username>- Shows a list of each claim and its coordinates for that player.
- /expandclaim <amount>- Expands your claim a certain amount of blocks in the direction you are facing.
- /trust <username>- Gives that player the ability to break or place blocks, use redstone, and open containers in a claim.
- /untrust <username>- Removes the /trust command for that player.
- /trustlist- Shows a list of each player trusted in a claim.
- /abandonclaim- Removes the claim you are standing in.
- /abandonallclaims- Removes all claims you have.
Warping- For more info on how to use warps click here
- /pwarp list- Shows a list of every public warp.
- /pwarp warp <warpname>- Teleports you to a specific public warp.
- /pwarp set <warpname>- Creates a new public warp.
- /pwarp delete <warpname>- Deletes that public warp.
- /warp <warpname>- teleports you to that warp.
- /sit- Puts your character into a sitting position.
- /lay- Puts your charafcter into a laying position.
- /afk- Sends a message in chat and in the tab list that you are away from keyboard (you will get kicked after 10 minutes of being afk).
SMP Server Commands-
- /sethome <homename>- Sets your current location as a “home”.
- /home <homename>- Teleports you to a previous “home” you have set.
- /delhome <homename>- Deletes a “home” from your home list.
- /pvp on- Allows you to engage in player vs player combat.
- /pvp off- Removes your ability to engage in player vs player combat.
- /bal <username>- Shows the current balance of a player.
- /baltop- Shows a list of the players with the highest balance.
- /pay <username> <amount>- Sends a specified amount of money to a players.
- /givepet <usrname>- Gives ownership of a pet to another player.
Plots Server Commands
- /p claim- Claims the plot you are standing on.
- /p auto- Claims the nearest plot.
- /p clear- Resets the plot you are standing on.
- /p delete- Deletes the plot you are standing on.
- /p list <username>- Lists every plot owned by that player.
- /p leave- Removes yourself from being trusted on the plot you are standing in.
- /p deny <username>- Denies a user from entering your plot.
- /p kick <username>- Kicks a player from your plot.
- /p merge- Merges the plot you are standing in with the one you are facing.
- /p chat- Toggles plot chat on and off.
- /p setowner <username>- Changes ownership of your plot to another user.
- /p sethome- Changes your plot home to your current position.
- /p flag add <flag> <true/false>- Allows you to add a plot flag.
- /p flag remove <flag> <true/false>- Allows you to remove a plot flag.
- /p flag list- Allows you to see every flag and get a description of what they do.